Common Questions

Below are some of the common questions we receive from parents and school representatives.  If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can my child have an appointment without a doctor’s referral? +

    No. Specialist services require a physician referral (generally your family doctor or pediatrician), through Child and Adolescent Psychiatry's province-wide pooled referral system (referral management system implemented April 21st, 2015.)
  • Can my child see a psychologist in the HCOF? +

    Currently, there are no psychologists practicing in the Hope Clinic. Psychologists can be accessed privately, or some publicly-funded through Child and Youth Mental Health Services (phone: 306-655-7777).
  • How long will it take from the time of referral to when I see the specialists? +

    The answer is dependent on many variables and is always in flux. Completion of requested paperwork means the referral will be processed and booked sooner. We realize the wait is difficult and may make suggestions to your referring doctor for care in the meantime, while awaiting an appointment.
  • I want my child to see a specialist, but I don’t believe in medications. What are my options? +

    Your option to see a specialist is not limited by this position. Your child's psychiatrist will discuss with you all of the treatment options available and make recommendations regarding the most effective and safest treatments. Our physicians practice from a biological, psychological, social and spiritual framework (Holistic), meaning that there are many more facets to healing and wellness than medication alone.
  • Can I, as a parent, speak to the specialist when my child is referred to one in HCOF? +

    Unfortunately, no. Our physicians work hard to be efficient in time management so as to see new referrals sooner. This means that there is limited time for telephone conversations with families. Once in care with one of our psychiatrists, their individual practices vary regarding how much telephone contact is available. As a parent, you have an important (and necessary) opportunity to communicate your concerns to the psychiatrist on the initial intake family forms.
  • What forms of treatment are available? +

    Complete assessment with diagnosis, investigation where necessary with blood tests and other imaging methods. Provision of treatment based on the current available scientific evidence using prescription and talking therapy. Further referrals can be made to other community based group and individual treatments.
  • What should I do if my child is so desperate as to consider drastic options? +

    Suggest to the child directly or through the person the child trusts the most of the need to attend the emergency unit of the RUH and at the very least go to a walk-in clinic or to see the child’s family physician. Should the suggestion be rejected and the risk uncontainable, consider calling the Crisis Management Service
  • Do I need to do a blood test or is it only for my child? +

    The blood tests ordered to confirm a suspected disorder or to plan treatment are usually for the child to do. In rare situation especially of identifying family links to diseases, a blood test may be requested of you. All these require your implicit or explicit consent and authorization.

  • How do you remind my child about his/her appointment? +

    Currently an appointment card is given after a visit with the specialist. After that and a few days before the stated appointment, contact is made with the child or responsible adult to remind him/her of the appointment. This is by phone.
  • 1

Contact Us

Contact us today, appointments by referral only.

Phone: (306) 954-3411
Fax: 306-954-3418

Administrative Hours:
Monday through Friday - 8:30am to 4:30pm

Clinical Hours:
Monday through Friday - 8:30am to 7:00pm

For Emergency Situations

Please go to the Royal University Hospital (RUH) 

Or call the local Crisis center at(306) 933-6200